The Restless Sleep header image 2

January 16th, 2007

The Number of Unsolved Murders in New York City

barrells6.jpg

There are now 9,082 unsolved murders in New York City going back to 1985. That figure is a moving target of course. They are adding to that number all the time. Roughly 150 – 200 or more murders go cold every year, and try as they might, they are not going back and solving that many each year (of the older, cold cases).

That picture was take at one of the Property Clerk warehouses. Those barrels contain homicide evidence.

Attention!  If you have a friend or loved one whose murder is still unsolved and you want to know what to do, please read this:

People ask repeatedly in the comments section about what to do or who to call about an unsolved murder. The answer to those questions are on the left under the heading, Getting Help – Contacting a Cold Case Squad. First read the document titled Before You Contact a Cold Case Squad. Then look up the number in the document Cold Case Squad and Other Organizations.

If you can’t find a number for your city or town, call your local police department and ask them if they have a cold case squad or a person in their homicide squad who specializes in cold cases. If they don’t then ask to speak to someone in their homicide squad. If you don’t get what you believe is a decent response, then go to the document on the left titled, Escalating Your Case.

If you have specific questions after reading through these instructions please ask here, but come back to see the answer!

Be Sociable, Share!

→ 576 CommentsTags: Homicide Facts ·

576 responses so far ↓

• 1 Mary // Mar 23, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Thanks for creating this wonderful site. My brother-in-law shot his co-worker (and girlfriend) in the head and she died. It took place at a grocery store they worked at in the late 1980’s in Jamacia or Brooklyn. The gun was registered in his name. Ultimately the case was deemed accidental.I can’t find any story on this. Maybe it was exspunged. How can I look up his arrest? I have his name, social, and DOB. I do not have her name.

• 2 Stacy Horn // Mar 26, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Well, a few things. If they ruled the death an accident then there was no real case. A crime was not committed. The case file would have at a most a page or two saying that they took the call, the medical examiner determined that it was an accident, perhaps with the NYPD’s corroboration and a list of the names of the people they talked to, and that would be that. You would not be given access to the files in any case.

What are you trying to find out exactly? I can’t really make suggestions without knowing what you’d like to learn. When you said you couldn’t find any story on this, where did you look? Because even if you decide you’d like to pursue this and see if there is anything the NYPD would be willing to share, you still have to let them know where this occurred and when. You can’t just say Queens or Brooklyn, sometime in the 1980’s. I would suggest reading this post, where I explain some of the tools that would be available to you at your local library:

• 3 sheena griffin // Apr 26, 2013 at 7:18 pm

hello I’m looking to find out information about my mother’s murder she was murdered in 1986 in the Bronx New York my mother’s name is Barbara ann Griffin. all I know is that it is the newspaper clippings of what happened to my mother but I have never seen it I really just need some closure in my life so can you please help me….

• 4 Stacy Horn // Apr 29, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Email sent.

• 5 tara s. // May 6, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Looking for Linda who posted above regarding Janice Cece…please email me..I’m Brandys daughter and knew Candy as we called her..

• 6 tara s. // May 9, 2013 at 5:23 pm

I want to thank the mediator of this site. Linda contacted me and it has been like a gift to me. Who ever you are, thank you so much.

• 7 Stacy Horn // May 13, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Tara, thank you so much for coming back to thank me, that was so thoughtful of you.

• 8 tara s. // May 13, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Stacey-thank you so much. It turns out Linda is a family friend I knew as a child-and she has put me in touch with more friends. I was on this page very randomly, and I am so grateful to you. What you do must bring people comfort, but you gave me something else entirely…thank you.

• 9 Stacy Horn // May 15, 2013 at 4:18 pm

It was my pleasure.

• 10 Stephanie N // May 18, 2013 at 10:01 pm

My father’s cousin was kidnapped and murdered when he was about 12 years old in Astoria Queens. My father says it was maybe 1970’s .Apparently his body was found in the Hudson (I think) river. I have been trying to find newspaper archives I am curious to know if they ever caught who did it.
    His name was John Tavano mother is Silvia Tavano

• 11 Stacy Horn // May 21, 2013 at 9:03 am

Well, first you need to get more information before contacting the police department to find out, like the date of his death and confirmation of the place. I’m assuming his parents are no longer alive or you could ask them. How have you been trying to find newspaper archives? I have information here about how to use to library for this:

While you’re there you can search the Social Security Death Index on Ancestry.com to get the date of his death.

You could also try getting his death certificate in order to get the date of his death. They will allow you to put a range if you are unsure of the date, but I’m not sure how many years that range can be.

Good luck. If you have any questions as you go along, please feel free to come back and ask.

• 12 franes estevez // May 21, 2013 at 10:08 pm

HI MY NAMES FRANCES. MY BROTHER WAS MURDER ON OCT.2. 1990 IN FRONT OF OUR BUILDING 1810 LEXINGTON AVE 112 STREET. HIS NAME IS ROLANDO GONZALEZ (PAPO) I MISS HIM SO MUCH STILL. NO ONE HAS TRYED TO TELL US ANYTHING FOR YEARS HIS NAME DONT EVEN COME UP AS A MUDER.

• 13 Stacy Horn // May 22, 2013 at 11:26 am

I’m so sorry about your brother. It could be that they didn’t have much to tell you (without witnesses or physical evidence, cases like this are notoriously difficult to solve). You can contact the Cold Case Squad, but realistically, often there isn’t much to do without new information. But I don’t want to be too discouraging, you never know.

• 14 Jayne // Jun 12, 2013 at 1:17 am

My husband’s grandfather was killed in a motel room in Queens, NY in February 1976. He was in New York for work…he was a businessman from Indiana. He was found by housekeeping and had been stabbed (over 30 times) and scalded in the bathtub. The case was never solved. 37 yrs. later, my husband’s family is still reeling by the unsolved case although no one “talks” about it out loud. My husband and I have discussed for many years about trying to get further information regarding the case and possibly having the cold case reopened. We just do not know where to start and any information on where to begin would be much appreciated! Thank you so very much.

• 15 Stacy Horn // Jun 12, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I’m very sorry about your husband’s loss. If you look over on the left, at the very top, it says: Getting Help-Contacting a Cold Case Squad. Click on “Before You Contact a Cold Case Squad READ THIS” and read through those instructions carefully. I wrote out what I feel is good advice about how to get help. When you’re ready, and have gathered all the information they’d need to help you, contact the NYPD’s Cold Case Squad: (718) 834-2777.

If you have specific questions as you go along, or hit snags along the way, please feel free ask.

• 16 Jay // Jun 14, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Hello,
    Wanted to know if there’s anyway to find out if a case was solved. Regarding the shooting (murder) of a NYPD officer around 1995/1996. Looked online to see for any information regarding an unsolved murder for an officer in Queens NY but couldn’t find anything. Almost 20 years ago I learned something that has bothered me over the years. I was a kid and never said anything to anybody. But wondering now if the info I know can be valuable just in case it was never solved. Thanks answer here please.

• 17 Stacy Horn // Jun 16, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Well, I guess you could just call the Cold Case Squad: (718) 834-2777. If you’d like to email me privately my email is horn@echonyc.com.

• 18 Priscilla gomez // Jun 18, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Hi I am writing to see if I can get more information on my fathers murder. Hid name was Jose Perez HR was stabbed to deslth in August 1994 and it seems like I can’t find anything online about his death. I was 12 at the time and didn’t get much info. His death certificate says he was stabbed and beaten and they put a wanted and in the paper of a guy named Henry but I can’t seem to find anythinHeHe was killed in new york on the west side on 100 something street. I really want more info on his death. I think about my dad a lot. Thank you for your help. Please email me if you find info pgomez248@gmail.com

• 19 Stacy Horn // Jun 19, 2013 at 11:56 am

Oh dear. I think people misunderstand the purpose of this blog and what I am capable of. There are around 10,000 unsolved murders in New York City, and that’s just going back to 1985. The number for the entire country is much much higher. I can’t possibly help everyone. What I can do however, is give advice and guidance so people can get information and the help they need from law enforcement themselves.

I am so sorry about your father. Where you can begin, and I say this to pretty much everyone who comes here to post, is by looking over on the left here, at the top, where it says Getting Help-Contacting a Cold Case Squad. Click on “Before You Contact a Cold Case Squad READ THIS” and read through those instructions carefully. I wrote out what I feel is good advice about how to get help. When you’re ready, and have gathered all the information they’d need to help you, contact the NYPD’s Cold Case Squad: (718) 834-2777.

• 20 Ines // Jun 29, 2013 at 9:42 pm

This is not a cold case but I cant find information on a murder suicide that took place in Brooklyn NY in 1965. My grandfather Antonio Figueroa killed his wife Catalina and then himself. This is the story told to me by my father. I looked information about the case online and can not find a thing. Can you give me information on this case or tell me where do I need to look.

• 21 Stacy Horn // Jun 30, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Hi. I give advice here: http://www.therestlesssleep.com/?p=704

• 22 kiki // Jul 30, 2013 at 4:38 pm

My mother was murdered by my father in1972 @the age of 16yrs old I would like to know her birthday who was she I would even one day see a picture of her I just want to know what happened and maybe I need to add one thing the day he killed my mom I never seen him again and I was only weeks old

• 23 kiki // Jul 30, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Post #320 her name was Norma this happened in 1972 in the Bronx they say.

• 24 Stacy Horn // Jul 31, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I’m so sorry about your mother. Was her last name Hadleigh? Do you have no other living relatives?

• 25 kiki // Aug 1, 2013 at 12:05 am

Hadley I don’t know anyone from her family

• 26 Stacy Horn // Aug 1, 2013 at 11:41 am

I need as much information as you can give me. What is your father’s name? Where did he live, what did he do, what are the names of any of his relatives, your mother’s relatives, do you know where in the Bronx, the date? Anything at all that you can tell me will help.

• 27 kiki // Aug 4, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Charles amaker bronx ny his mother name is margaret this happened in 1972. That’s all I really know

• 28 Stacy Horn // Aug 6, 2013 at 9:32 am

Okay, I will see what I can find out. Also, do you have a copy of your birth certificate?

• 29 shantel scott // Aug 9, 2013 at 8:14 am

hello, how are you? My father name was Richard Boykins, and he was murdered when I was two years old, two weeks after my birthday. He was killed on june,30, 1989. He was found shot to death with multiple gunshot wounds in between the refrigerator and the stove in a apartment building at 54 Macombs road apt 6D Bronx,NY. I was told that my father was sleeping in bed inside of the apartment when at least four guys went into the apartment and dragged my father out of the bed from his sleep and took him into the kitchen when he was then shot to death. I never even seen a picture of my dad and I have a brother that I have never met Named Brian Boykins who has sickle cell from my fathers side of the family. This has left a big hole in my heart not knowing what my dad look like and the great person that I’ve heard that he was and not being able to know his side of the family. I just need some sort of closure about my dads case, but most of all a picture of him. I am so torn about this and it has been so many years and the only images in my head of him is the replaying of what happened to him and him meeting me for the first time as a baby. Please let me hear your thoughts or any information you can give me about my dad. Have a safe and blessed day and good luck to everyone on their search for answers.

• 30 Stacy Horn // Aug 9, 2013 at 3:54 pm

I’m so sorry about your father. All my advice is contained in the post above. Except he isn’t showing up as an unsolved case, which means there was an arrest and his case was closed. So you might contact the precinct where he was killed to find out what happened, and perhaps there’s a picture in the case files that isn’t a crime scene picture. I tried looking up the precinct for you, but there is something wrong with that address. Double check the address and let me know.

You could get his death certificate which will let you know where he was buried and the names of his parents and friend or next of kin:

Also, you can research him more at the library, using Proquest and Ancestry.com, and I give directions for that here:

• 31 Javier Garcia // Aug 14, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Looking to find out more on the case of Gabriel Marcano (Buck 4) and Lorenzo Soto (Kuriaki). I’m a historian when it comes to Hip Hop, it’s just a shame that these 2 left us , and on top o fit with unknown resolution as to why? how?

• 32 Stacy Horn // Aug 14, 2013 at 4:24 pm

All my advice for getting information I put in the post above! Also summed up here: http://www.therestlesssleep.com/?p=1347

If you have specific questions as you go along, please come back and ask.

• 33 Jessica // Aug 19, 2013 at 4:10 pm

A good neighbor of mine was raped and later died (murdered) on New Hyde Park Rd. Garden City, NY in 1989/1990. He came in through her bedroom window. We moved away soon after and i never knew what happened to the man who did this to her. I don’t remember her name.

• 34 Stacy Horn // Aug 19, 2013 at 4:14 pm

How terrible. Did you have a question? If you’re asking about how to find more information, I’d read this post: http://www.therestlesssleep.com/?p=704

• 35 NORMAN HAUPTMAN // Sep 3, 2013 at 11:36 pm

I came to this site having googled
    ” New Rochelle fire fighter Fred Haley murder unsolved”. Nothing came up.

I am deeply saddened to read of those whose friends and relatives, even parents, were murdered. I say to all of your with conviction and deep sincereity. The souls of all who die are not only released from this heavy Earth life; they are also in a place of deep love and serenity. This is not a religious conviction, but what I have learned with deep feeling and intuition.

Your sadness is real, and deep. Please know the above, for it applies to each of us also. G-d blesses us each day. We get better every day. Retired fire fighter

• 36 christina // Sep 23, 2013 at 1:13 am

Hi, my name is Christina I’m 25 yrs old.. when I was 5 yrs old in 1993 my father was stabbed and murdered in Brooklyn,NY in front of our apt building he made it inside to the top floor where we lived before he died in my arms they never found out who did it and after so many yrs I still can’t get over what happen and I can’t seem to get closure I was daddy’s little girl and it depresses and anger me to know the killer could still be walking this earth…I really want to get more information on the case and see who I can talk to about how the case is progressing? Don’t really know much about the murder other then what I saw and experience that day and what my mother has told me….please help me!!!!

• 37 Stacy Horn // Sep 23, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Oh, what a terrible terrible thing to happen at all, but for a five year old to experience this. How sad. Anyway, all my advice for getting information I put in the post above! Also summed up here: http://www.therestlesssleep.com/?p=1347

If you have specific questions as you go along, please come back and ask.

• 38 K // Sep 25, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Stacy I have questions regarding missing persons. I have a family member missing for over 15 years. I am getting no help. Any recommendations?

• 39 Stacy Horn // Sep 26, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I’m sorry, but I have absolutely no expertise in missing persons cases. I can only suggest contacting the following organizations, although you probably have already contacted them:

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

The Doe Network

• 40 Chiko // Sep 27, 2013 at 10:59 am

Hi Stacy,

Checking back, I see you pulled down the posts from Iris Soto and Sergio about Lorenzo Kuriaki Soto’s unsolved death.
    Can you send me any contact infomation you may have on them?

• 41 Stacy Horn // Sep 27, 2013 at 11:04 am

I have already answered this question. I have already done everything I can to help you. I’m sorry I can’t help you more.

• 42 shaquan daley // Oct 11, 2013 at 8:51 pm

hi my name is shaquan im from brooklyn . when i was born in 1987 my father was stabbed to death a couple months later. his name was derrick brown the killer was caught this happened in bushwick brooklyn on putnam ave i would just like to know a lil back ground on the case and is his killer still in jail

i never knew my dad just wanted a lil background check thank you so much

• 43 Lisa Ruiz // Nov 7, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Hi everyone my name is Lisa, back in 1989 my uncle Jack had told me that my father had been shot and died the location was in sunnyside Queens,New York. In never knew my dad. However, I’ve did go downtown to try and retrieve a death certificate and the clerk had said she doesn’t have one for him. I found that strange cause I’m thinking if he died’ he should of have death certificate right? I’m wondering if this story is true about my father if he is dead? His name is Victor Ruiz and I have a Aunt named Tina Ruiz. My mom told me that my Dad and Aunt we’re born in the Bronx. I will continue my journey to find out what exactly happen to my Dad. I would be greatful if Anyone has any information about my Father…

• 44 Stacy Horn // Nov 13, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I wonder how well that clerk checked. Perhaps the location of his death is incorrect. Or the year is incorrect. You might want to go back and ask the clerk to check different years and different boroughs.

You could also go to the New York Public Library and search the Social Security Death Index. A librarian can show you how to do this.

Also, ask your Uncle Jack if an arrest was ever made in your father’s murder.

• 45 mary // Nov 13, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Hi my name is mary Gilmore & my great Uncle was hit & killed around 1937-1938 somwhere in Michigan he was only 15-17 months old at the time he was holding my grandma’s hand when he was killed my family doesn’t talk about his death although I do know that the person killed him was a doctor & was driving drunk when he hit & killed my great uncle in their drive way his name is Irvin biddinger Jr I want to find out if his killer was ever caught please help me

• 46 Stacy Horn // Nov 16, 2013 at 11:35 am

You’re going to need to track some more information first, Michigan in a big place! Why don’t you start by asking your relatives to pin down where this happened, exactly. If they can’t also tell you exactly when, you can contact the vital records department for the town or city he died in and request a death certificate, asking them to search those two years. The death certificate will also list the cause and manner of death. If it was ruled an accident there won’t be any kind of police file and no arrests would have been made. If it says manslaughter or homicide, you can contact the local police department of the town or city he died in, but that’s pretty far back. You will probably need to give them some time to find the case.

• 47 John Doyle // Dec 4, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Ms. Horn, I stumbled upon your website while looking up info on a decades old murder, which was mentioned in you comments section. Can you drop me a line at either e-mail above.

• 48 Stacy Horn // Dec 4, 2013 at 7:18 pm

How can I help you?

• 49 Luis // Dec 16, 2013 at 4:56 am

Hi my name is Luis my father was killed in 2001 ,on Bridgeport conn ,it’s been a long time and I still don’t have clues of what happen with his case,be couse i was to young at the time,can you please help with a number or a page were I call contact people, who can give me some answers please!!!

• 50 Stacy Horn // Dec 16, 2013 at 10:15 am

I’m very sorry about your father. I would start by calling the police department. I googled “Bridgeport Police Department Detective Bureau” and got this page: http://www.bridgeportct.gov/content/89019/89755/90919/91031.aspx

This tells you what number to call to make an appointment to talk to detectives. Before you call you should read this page and talk to your family and get the date and place: http://www.therestlesssleep.com/?page_id=366

• 51 Luis // Dec 16, 2013 at 5:06 am

Ms Horn I was 14 at the time when my father was killed in conn,he was all I had,I know there was some arrest made but I have no clue of what happen please help me Ms.Horn

• 52 Raurie // Dec 21, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Thank you, Ms. Horn, for providing this platform for people to ask questions and get information. My amazing brother, Burke O’Brien, was killed January 12, 2003 in lower Manhattan (at 75-79 Orchard Street). We are in communications with the 7th precinct and the cold case squad in the effort towards finding the two men who did this. We hope for justice one day, even if all these years later.

• 53 Stacy Horn // Dec 24, 2013 at 5:17 pm

I am so sorry about your brother and I truly hope the police will be able to close his case. I think justice is important no matter how mant years have passed.

• 54 Luis // Dec 22, 2013 at 4:55 am

Ooh Wooow can’t believe you answer me,this is real!!..ok thank you so much and god bless you Ms.Horn :-)

• 55 Stacy Horn // Dec 24, 2013 at 5:16 pm

You’re very welcome.

• 56 Kim // Dec 24, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Hello, I’m trying to give a friend a Christmas Gift of closure to what may have happened to her sister. Her sister Margrett Manson (aka Milly or Millie) became missing sometime between 1968-70 from the Brooklyn area. She was married to and shared 1 male child with Lawrence (Larry) Birdsol, also from the Brooklyn area, who she was estranged from due to physical abuse to her. Larry was a long distance truck driver at the time she went missing. Lawrence would always talk about the places he would travel to being a truck driver. One place in particular was a place in Florida called Alligator Alley. It was known by that name due to the fact that on both sides of a narrow road, there was nothing but swamp and he said, it would be easy to get rid of a body there because the alligator’s would eat the body. But there is no proof that happened to Margrett. Shortly after Margrett went missing, Lawrence retrieved their son from the maternal Great-Grandmothers home and disappeared with him. The child was missing for years until a friend of Margrett’s family spotted Lawrence in Brooklyn going into a building and followed him. They contacted Margrett’s family and soon after, family members went from door to door looking for the child who by then, was 17. Lawrence had the child believing someone else was his birth mother and the child had no memories of Margrett his real birth mother. Margrett was once a Go-Go dancer (Cage Girl) at The Pipeman’s on Malta Street. She was reported missing by her mother (who has now passed on) and the report was made at the 73rd Precinct Brooklyn. The last known person to be seen with Margrett was a Lita Allen a friend of both her and her husbands. We also know that Margrett’s social security number is now being used by a woman of Latino decent. We do understand that after so many years, the outcome may not be good, but still the family wants some type of closure.

• 57 Stacy Horn // Dec 24, 2013 at 5:08 pm

It’s very nice of you to want to help your friend. Did you have a question? I’m not knowledgable in the area of missing persons however, but if your friend wants to have the police take another look at the case, I’d suggest she contact the 73rd precinct to see where the case was left. If she believes this young man is her abducted nephew she should definitely report that to the police as well, so they can investigate. Except, wait a minute, this must have been many years ago too, the son of the missing woman would have to be in his forties by now. Was the abduction reported? Were the police contacted when Lawrence returned with the boy who may or may not have been your friend’s nephew? Well, in any case, she should start with the detectives at the 73rd precinct. She would need to make this call, this is not something you could do for her. Tell her the number to call is 718-636-6485. Before she calls she should have any information they might need ready, like the date when her sister was first reported missing, where she was living at the time, and so on.

I would also recommend contacting the Doe Network for advice, http://www.doenetwork.org/ and Namus http://www.namus.gov/

• 58 Keisha Stubbs // Feb 21, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Hello June 29, 2009 Shawn Gary was shot in a car in queens ny on 171st st and 137th avenue. It has not been solved yey. Can you help?? Please…. thank you

• 59 Stacy Horn // Feb 23, 2014 at 7:08 pm

All my suggestions for how to proceed are in this post: http://www.therestlesssleep.com/?p=1347

If you have any questions as you go along, please come back and ask. And good luck. You didn’t say what your relation to Shawn Gary is, but I’m sorry for your loss.

• 60 AnneBerengere Pelluau // Mar 10, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Hello, I am French and travelled to NY for the first time in August 1984. I was a teenager. During my trip I was a witness of a homicide that happened in the street. I almost got killed. I never had any news since then, so I think nobody was arrested. Do you think it is possible to have more information? I will never forget that day and I think about it very very often. I have the approximte date and the exact address but I never had the name of the man who died. What can I do to know more?
    Thank you very much!

• 61 Stacy Horn // Mar 10, 2014 at 7:31 pm

In your case I would suggest starting at the library. I give instructions here: http://www.therestlesssleep.com/?p=704

Once you have a little more information, come back and I can advise you about what to do next. (I’m sorry that you experienced something like that at such a young age. And I’m sorry it happened to you here!)

• 62 Desiree Ruiz // Mar 10, 2014 at 8:58 pm

MARIA COLON was my mothers bestfriend. ALFRED NUNEZ if you happen to come across this post, please contact us. We have also been looking for clues to no avail, and for years my mother has been praying for Maria’s peace. It would be good to connect! I’ve also emailed Stacy our phone numbers. Please contact us!!!!!

• 63 Stacy Horn // Mar 11, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Desiree and Barbara, I got your email and forwarded it to Alfred. I hope it reaches him.

• 64 Desiree Ruiz // Mar 10, 2014 at 9:00 pm

FYI, the above post is regarding MARIA COLON who was raped and killed in Flushing Meadows Park in Corona, Queens in 1979.

• 65 BARBARA WASHINGTON // Mar 10, 2014 at 11:49 pm

@ALFRED NUNEZ. .OMG! Do you remember me.Your sister MARIA Colon was my best friend still today in my heart I never forgot about her or you. I tryed to find you .until today I’m geting closer to you I still live in the same house I always wonder what happen to you and ur grandmother I never forgot about Maria how can I see the last house that you lived in Corona please reach out to me I hope ur doing Good GOD BLESS YOU I Miss You!!

• 66 AnneBerengere Pelluau // Mar 11, 2014 at 4:56 am

Thank you very much for your quick answer! I already called the police precinct that was in charge of the case and they say they can’t go so far as 1984. I have to write to the NYPD archives for research. I will follow your advice and continue on my own. It’s not easy because I live in Paris and I have to find everything on the web, I can’t go anywhere… I’ll try with Proquest and I’ll let you know. Thank you very much again. (Whatever happened I feel home in the States and love your country!)

• 67 Stacy Horn // Mar 11, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Well, since you are not a member of the immediate family they are not obliged to go back. What precinct was it? In any case, if you can do some research and get me a little more information about the date and the place I can see what I can find out.

• 68 Marissa // Apr 2, 2014 at 4:08 pm

My father was murdered in 1965 I was in Cuba then, I arrived in the states in May 1966 after my father was buried, I have not been able to put closure how do I go about finding out information about newspaper articles etc. Thank you.

• 69 Stacy Horn // Apr 4, 2014 at 9:33 am

I’m so sorry about your father. I give instructions for using Proquest here:

And about contacting a cold case squad here:

• 70 Chrissy // Apr 5, 2014 at 3:16 am

Hi I dont know it will help but putting photos and some info on fb on missing sites have helped alot of people i know the feeling of to many here and i believe reaching out to as any as you can and telling your story can help your outcome
    god bless u all

• 71 Veronica Torruellas // May 20, 2014 at 10:04 pm

My brother was murder on the brooklyn bridge in 1989 he was 22 it made the news can anybody help

• 72 Stacy Horn // May 21, 2014 at 5:40 pm

I am so very sorry about your brother. I would suggest starting by looking over on the left here, at the top, where it says Getting Help-Contacting a Cold Case Squad. Click on “Before You Contact a Cold Case Squad READ THIS” and read through those instructions carefully. I wrote out what I feel is good advice about how to get help.

If you have specific questions please feel free ask.

• 73 Veronica Torruellas // May 20, 2014 at 10:08 pm

So sad so many unsolved murder so many if us so different
    But yet feel the same pain

• 74 Maritza Cubero // May 23, 2014 at 11:17 am

Hello, my brother was murdered on July 4th, 1995 in the Bronx. His name was Jose L. Torres. Apparently my brother was stabbed twice in the heart and according to Detective Coors from I think it was Precinct 44 he was DOA. My brother had no identification at the time of the murder so it took them 2 weeks to identify him and contact the family. I followed up with Det. Coors but soon my life took over and years passed by. I have never forgotten about this tragedy and have always wondered if the killer or killers were ever caught. My brother was only 31 years old. According to the detective his body was found in a nearby park where apparently the murder had taken place. Because this crime was committed in such an open and very public place I could not understand why no one witnessed anything. I know that law enforcement officers are bombarded with a slew of work inviolving everyday crimes and the infamous cold case files continue piling up but at one point or the other and some way some how someone has to pay for these tragic crimes. Can someone provide me with any information on the unsolved murder of my dear brother?

• 75 Stacy Horn // May 23, 2014 at 11:50 am

Hello Maritza. I’m very sorry about your brother, I’m going to email you.

• 76 CARLENE HOWELL // Jun 15, 2014 at 9:57 pm

HELLO,

MY NAME IS CARLENE I COMMENTED ON THIS WEBSITE YEARS AGO REGARDING MY MOTHER. I STILL HAVE NO ANSWER AND I AM STILL LOOKING. CAN I STILL BE HELPED.

• 77 Stacy Horn // Jun 16, 2014 at 8:20 am

Carlene, I emailed you on April 7, 2009, the day you posted, and you never responded. Here is what I emailed you and I would still like to help you if I can:

Carlene, my name is Stacy Horn and I run the blog you just posted on about your mother.  I would like to try to help you and get you in touch with someone at the NYPD.

First, I am so sorry your mother was murdered and you had to grow up without her.  I can well understand wanting to learn anything you can about her.  I’m not sure there will be a lot about her of a personal nature in the police files, but it’s worth checking.  To begin, what was your mother’s name, and what was the date of her death?  Do you know where in Brooklyn?

• 78 Stacy Horn // Jun 19, 2014 at 2:30 pm

I see you haven’t responded, so I’m going to try emailing you again.

• 79 shaquan daley // Jun 25, 2014 at 9:28 am

hello my father was killed in 1987 in bush wick brooklyn on putnam ave hs name is derrick brown i he’s killer was caught i believe wanted to know his name find out about him maybe even get to talk to the guy just to ask question anyway i can get help with any of this please.. email back thank you

• 80 Stacy Horn // Jun 25, 2014 at 6:15 pm

I’m very sorry about your father. I would suggest calling the detective squad at the precinct where the murder occurred. They can give you the name of the murderer and, if he’s in prison, they can let you know where he is. As far as contacting this person, I can’t really help you with that, it falls out of the area of my expertise. But the detective can advise you. You can also check the website for the prison to find out what the procedures are for visiting.