The Restless Sleep header image 2

May 22nd, 2010

What to do if you have Questions about an Unsolved Murder

People often post about a friend or family member who was murdered and then ask for help. All my suggestions for how to proceed are over there on the left under the heading, Getting Help – Contacting a Cold Case Squad.

I suggest first reading the document titled Before You Contact a Cold Case Squad Read This. Then look up the number in the document Cold Case Squad and Other Organizations.

If you can’t find a number for your city or town, call your local police department and ask them if they have a cold case squad or a person in their homicide squad who specializes in cold cases. If they don’t then ask to speak to someone in their homicide squad. If you don’t get what you believe is a decent response, then go to the document on the left titled, Escalating Your Case.

If you have specific questions after reading through the instructions or after contacting your local police department or cold case squad post them here. But please come back to see my response to your question!


(Those are pictures of the barrels of evidence at the NYPD’s Property Clerk Division.)

→ 4 CommentsTags: Practical Info for Families and Friends of Victims · Uncategorized ·

4 responses so far ↓

  • 1 slamdunk // May 26, 2010 at 11:07 pm

    Good advice.

    On the “Escalating Your Case” post, I agree that directing your concerns/suggestions to the chief or commissioner is a wise course of action–others should be included in the information loop as opposed to the investigating detective.

  • 2 Stacy Horn // May 27, 2010 at 6:49 pm

    Thank you!!

  • 3 AdiAri // Jan 5, 2016 at 9:13 pm

    Hello, today I found a death certificate of one of my cousins and to my surprise she was murdered in 1994. I asked my dad if he ever heard anything about this development but he denied. My question is how do I know if this is a cold case or is closed. I can provide more information thru email.

  • 4 Stacy Horn // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:46 pm

    Hello AdiAri. You would contact the precinct that has the case, so you would need to find out where the murder occurred, if you don’t know already. If you can let me know your cousin’s name and where the murder occurred I can tell you which precinct to call. My email is

Leave a Comment